Saturday, October 11, 2008

Food for the Gods



It's that time of year once again: DURIAN SEASON! Dad just sent me this newest incarnation of the fruit: vacuum packed and frozen. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into them. So, minutes after their arrival in the kitchen, I stole away to the terrace (the kids have banned me from eating them indoors for life, the little twirps) and sank my teeth into them. Yuuummm...nothing else matters.

I miss Kitty and my siblings: sister and brothers, who, I imagined, as I gobbled up the plump, pillowy, and sticky pulp of the durian off of the seeds, would have savored the experience with me. Every bite evoked images of my childhood in Davao and memories of my siblings. As they say, you can take the girl away from the province but you can't take the province away from the girl. Thanks Dad.

No comments: