Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Besieged in a Bus











Bathtub
Potty for two
Sentry in Rayadillo uniform



Why do I do this to myself time and time again?

I chaperoned a busload of 30 kids on a field trip to Casa Manila in Intramuros. I had been to this magnificently preserved old Manila style house three times, also as chaperone to Belli's, Bidi's, and Pippi's classes. So why not to Mouse's? This was how I convinced myself to make the trip yet again.

The destination was fine. I always enjoy visiting this grand turn-of-the-century house with perfectly-polished narra floors, Venetian chandeliers, hand-knotted Belgian carpets, canopied beds, stone walls, brick ovens, and nonexistent plumbing. It is the ride that tortures me and turns me into a monster.

Imagine being in a small, confined space such a bus with 30 relentlessly screaming, squiggling, chattering, shouting, unruly six-year-olds. And if you attempt to quiet them down they say, "Why, who are you?" Maaaan, I was so tempted to answer, "Lucifer. Welcome to hell." But hey, I do have a bit of a conscience.

I lived to tell with everything intact including my sanity and just a bit of a head ache. Just another day at the office of motherhood.

No comments: