Monday, July 7, 2008

The Role of Artists

Belli asked me some weeks back why the world has artists and what purpose does art serve.  I told her I needed to get back to her on that one because I had no ready answer.  I did, after a day or two.

I told her that aside from the obvious, which is entertainment that all artists provide the general public with, be they visual or performance artists, actors, writers, musicians, their role is to ask or pose questions.  Their art should bring focus to issues that need to be addressed.  As a writer, allow me to say that some think we have the answers.  We don't; we are as clueless as everyone else.  Those who insist that they do should probably not be trusted.  But in this profession, I think we have the duty to ask questions, to highlight issues that need to be addressed for changes to happen whether it involves interpersonal relationships, governance, environmental concerns, anything under the sun, which when processed as an individual or community, may alleviate our lives.

So, Belli asked me, "You mean, a Picasso painting of a woman with distorted features is an attempt to ask a question?"  Baffled by the intensity of her words I tried a good out.  I answered, "Sure.  The lady is portrayed with distorted features because her life is not in order, maybe even troubled to some extent, or conflicted at the very least.  So Picasso asks the viewer to contemplate on what causes this and what can be done to avoid it or remedy it."  

After some thought, she said, "Hmmmm..."  I don't know whether I made sense or not.

2 comments:

fayala said...

you should have asked me... i would have given her a great answer!

give the kids my love!

fourtyfied said...

Hi, Maverick,

Please, please post a comment explaining Picasso's art since you're our resident art expert. Would love to publish it on the blog proper. Will expect it. The kids miss you a lot. Stay and keep well!