Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rants and Raves

If you don't know what SM is, you are not Pinoy.  It is an institution in this country and its chain of stores has become the masses' playground cum air conditioned park cum shopping Mecca cum bargain basement, where you can stretch your peso to its ripping point and come out with purchases that give you value for money.

I've heard someone say that if one wants to put a finger on the pulse of Pinoy culture, all he needs to do is hangout in SM and observe.  Kudos to this person for the accuracy of his statement.

But here's the thing: I dread, abhor, detest going to SM department store because of the crowds, the long and punishing walk from the parking lot to the store proper, the intolerable decibel levels, the human traffic, the clueless, uninformed and yet gung-ho and pushy sales staff who will do anything (cartwheels and headstands included) just to make a sale, the promo people who talk nonstop on microphones promoting sundry products, and the completely chaotic ambiance that never fails to give me a headache as big as Texas. 

I'm the type of person who likes to be left alone in a the quietest and most concealed of corners to work and I like to shop in exactly the same manner.  I can't stand sales people breathing down my neck because my thought process is strictly mental.  I deliberate in my mind so that when I set out to buy something, it is a final decision.  I can understand how outside help is crucial to undecided patrons who need second opinions at the point of purchase but I'm never one of those; I prefer to be left alone.  You know how it is in middleage when you become set in your ways?  Well, I'm there.  I have nothing against SM, I think their people are marketing geniuses, I'd just rather not shop there. 

Having said that, I take it all back because I find myself in SM at least four times a year for the children's needs.  You know how parents often say dramatically that they would do anything for their kids?  Well, this is the one time I wish I didn't feel that way.  I love them to pieces but not enough to inflict the whole SM experience on myself.  But I lie, because I go; there's is no other choice.  I could send the yaya, I've done it many times and continue to do so but there's always something that isn't done right or forgotten.

And so I keep going.  Why?  Because they have everything.  Like their commercial jingle goes: they've got it all!  It's the only place where I can find my daughters' mesh hair snoods for their ballet chignons; the only place where I can find a tiara and glass slippers for Mouse's school play; the only place where I can find a fairy wand and wings for Halloween; the only place I can find a cape, Harry Potter glasses, and gray knee socks for a costume soiree; and it's the only place where I can get all of these under one roof!

I was there again today, looking for bed sheets at reasonable prices and I endured all the noise, harassment, cajoling, coercion and clear BS of the sales staff--five of them who didn't have anything else to do because I was the only one in the linen section, who all wanted a piece of the action and who clearly didn't understand thread count and dimensions, who seem to have made everything up as they went along--all because I FOUND exactly what I wanted and for a song!  I walked out of there with a mammoth headache but with the best loot ever--4 sets for the kids of flat and fitted sheets, duvet covers, and pillow cases, all with 500 thread count made with the softest Egyptian cotton with a perfect sheen--a slight glimmer--perfect! and for a fraction of what you'll pay elsewhere plus another 20% off on top of that!  Please go, the sale lasts another couple of weeks.

That's my love-hate relationship with SM.  My body is comatose right now because of the harrowing experience but my mind is a happy duck nonetheless.  Good bargains give me a flood of endorphins.  Yey!

No comments: