Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On Books
























I stole some time away from what I should have been doing--my thesis--to read Jhumpa Lahiri's new collection of short stories called Unaccostomed Earth.  I was a fan of her first published work, also a short story collection called Interpreter of Maladies.  This first outing of hers had earned her the Pulitzer Prize so as you can imagine, it really was a tour de force.  

She then followed that up with a novel, The Namesake, which I don't think she has the writing stamina for.  Although Hollywood snapped it up and made it into a movie, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did her debut book.  Her style seems to be perfect for the shorts, but then again, I ain't no critic.  So... 

This third book of hers is a return to what she does best.  Please grab a copy.  Fully Booked is all out but National still has several.  You won't regret it; I promise.

Another book that can be one of your best investments if you have pubescent children is the Usborne Facts of Life: Growing Up.  It won The Times Best Information Book Award and covers facts about the birds and the bees and everything else about a child's changing body.  It is a wonderfully illustrated book and it uses a language that every pre-teen can be comfortable with.  Please go through it with your child.  It will be a most rewarding experience.

2 comments:

Monster Paperbag said...

I love Lahiri's work. I particularly enjoyed "The Namesake" :).

fourtyfied said...

Thanks for commenting, monster paperbag. We already have one thing in common:we are both Lahiri fans and I truly welcome the fact that you enjoyed The Namesake. I believe that differing opinions lie at the heart of every sound discussion and we do want to be as democratic as we can here.

I appreciate your comment very much and hope that you continue jumping in to write down your thoughts here.

Did you get to see the movie version of the Namesake?