Monday, July 7, 2008

One Mother's Wisdom

An insightful comment posted by reader Mary O' in response to yesterday's entry When Parenting Turns Scary is worthy of mention.  I think it more than merits space here.  She said about parenting, "It helps to remember to listen ( to children) with the intent to understand not with the intent to respond."  There is so much wisdom in her words.  This is a gift to all parents.  Thank you, Mary O'.  

I received a lot of responses in my personal email address from those who obviously know who I am.  I figured many are not ready to openly discuss the delicate issues on parenting over a forum as public and as democratic as the Internet.  But hopefully in time, we will all get the courage to speak without fear and reservation.  The object of concern here is our children--the most precious part of our lives and bringing attention to issues surrounding them in the hope of having a better grasp of their world is something we need to champion.

We have Alcoholics Anonymous, I think we should have Parents Anonymous or some similar support group for one of the most if not the most difficult and complicated vocation known to man.

No comments: