Monday, July 14, 2008

Empty Nest




It was Mouse's first day in the big school today. I had been dreading this for months. Having lunch with her had been the highlight of my day for six years because the five other kids were never around. I had looked forward to 12:15 every weekday, which was always heralded by a big shout out of "I'm home!" from her. Well, no longer...

Weeks ago I said to her that I had a brilliant idea. I explained that I had found the perfect solution to our impending separation. I would enroll in her school, in her first grade class, buy the uniform in my size with black shoes and white socks to match, and be her classmate so I could be with her all day. She snickered. "Why?" I asked. "Is it because it's a silly idea?" "No, Mom," she said in between giggles. "I was imagining you in the uniform and it's super funny." The little twirp...

She started first grade today and is on a full-day schedule. Of a sudden I am lost; I don't know what to do with myself. Last night as I put her to sleep I told her, "Mouse, I'm not ready." She simply smiled and said, "Don't worry Mom, you'll be okay. I promise."

So, I took her to school, lingered for a long time and stole peeks in her classroom. I went home to have lunch and then picked her up an hour early because the separation anxiety was too much for me to handle. I scooped her up when she came out and hugged her tight. I asked if she had fun hoping to hear that no, she missed me. She said, "It was so much fun, Mom, I can't wait for tomorrow."

Letting go is truly a bitch! But then who listens to a whining mother? I guess it's time to get a life.

No comments: