Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Angels

Watching American Idol has been one of my guilty pleasures for many years. My classmate in graduate school, Michael, calls it: pampabobo. Really, at the end of a tiring day of churning out academic manuscripts and articles for the column, I just want to lay out, make like a tree, and yield to this pleabian persuasion.
One of the contestants in the AI show today sang Angels by British pop singer, Robbie Williams. Maverick introduced it to me many years ago and it has become one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. Listening to it tonight, I was blown away, yet again. There's something about the melody and the lyrics that actually moves the earth from under me.
Here are the lyrics and the You Tube link. Enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8unwxhNho

Angels
By Robbie Williams
I sit and waitDoes an angel contemplate my fateAnd do they knowThe places where we goWhen we're grey and old'Cause I've been toldThat salvation lets their wings unfold
So when I'm lying in my bedThoughts running through my headAnd I feel that love is deadI'm loving angels instead
Chorus
And through it all she offers me protectionA lot of love and affectionWhether I'm right or wrongAnd down the waterfallWherever it may take meI know that life won't break meWhen I come to call she won't forsake meI'm loving angels instead
When I'm feeling weakAnd my pain walks down a one way streetI look aboveAnd I know I'll always be blessed with loveAnd as the feeling growsShe breathes flesh to my bonesAnd when love is deadI'm loving angels instead
Chorus
And through it all she offers me protectionA lot of love and affectionWhether I'm right or wrongAnd down the waterfallWherever it may take meI know that life won't break meWhen I come to call she won't forsake meI'm loving angels instead
Repeat chorus

No comments: