Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Day at the American Embassy

I was dreading the the day I would have to return to the American Embassy to renew the Visa of one of the children. After the ordeal of renewing their passports at the Department of Foreign Affairs last February, you couldn't pay me to go anywhere near government offices or embassies--places that required queueing up for extended periods of time.

I lined up with my 12-year-old daughter at the DFA for seven hours, yes, seven, and not even under a roofed structure but out on the street under punishing heat. After four hours, we were finally let into the basketball court so we at least had a shade over our heads. Three more hours of snaking lines followed, which made it a total of seven hours with no breaks and no food (8 am to 3 pm). Quite pathetic!

When we discovered that my six-year old's U.S. visa had expired, I was inclined to cancel vacation plans just to avoid having to go through a similar experience at the American Embassy.

We all have been going to the Embassy and bringing home horror stories of varying intensities. But it was a pleasant surprise to have found it in its most orderly state in the years that I have been going there. All the guards were courteous, which was shocking in this land of power-tripping village guards. The lines were maintained as neat single files. There were no shout-outs and no irate personnel. There was a manageable number of applicants and enough powerful electric fans and benches to provide comfort to all. Rules and procedures were comprehensible and clear. And the embassy people happily provided assistance! It was the shortest time I had ever spent in there--just under two hours. Imagine that!

I know it wouldn't be very nice for me to say that the American Embassy has finally gotten its act together under Ambassador Kristie Kenney because it takes a woman to enforce good housekeeping. But I will anyway!

No comments: