Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Entertaining with Ease






Is there such a thing as entertaining with ease? I used to think so. Back in the day, when I had as much enthusiasm as Rachel Ray on double doses of Prozac and as much energy as Carson Kressley on speed, I orchestrated parties and did everything from scratch. I made my own puff pastry, whipped up my own mayo, hand-kneaded my own dough for fresh pasta and shaped them with a hand-cranked machine. I made my own sorbet to serve between courses and baked elaborate layer cakes with piped borders. I fashioned my own table centerpieces with flowers from the Dangwa, fruits from Farmers, dried beans from grain sheds, or random leaves picked by the roadside. Yes, I was a martyr then.


I did enjoy it all, in spite of the fatigue that typically set in right about the time guests started filing in and I would be just stepping out of the shower, scrambling downstairs with only one earring on, and with the other shoe unfastened, still.


That was all good but Cruella de Ville, who was always present, never failed to unleash her satanic verses for all to hear. "Your roast is burnt and it's your fault; so and so makes paella better than you; you spend too much on decor; your cooking is always salty; you should keep in mind your guests' health..." And so one day, I just stopped.


Today, I entertain only when I absolutely must, and only when I am certain that Cruella won't show up. I mostly order in for food and enlist the help of a good florist. My best friend, MK, introduced me to Vanni, a florist par excellence who charges very reasonable fees--you'll be surprised. He makes me wonder if he's only in it because of his devotion to the art and the therapeutic benefits of arranging, or if indeed, there is money to be made. That's how little he asks for.


I have compiled a list of suppliers for uber Delicious party dishes; their's and Vanni's are the numbers that are on my speed dial. Along with the modern woman's hairdresser, manicurist, waxer, and dermatologist, these are the numbers that are worth their weight in gold. Like they say, "It takes a village"...to keep a middle-aged woman sane!


Last night's poetry reading party at MK's was a showcase of Vanni's genius and Bizu's outstanding cuisine.


No comments: