Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Parlez-vous Francais?

My most dreaded day finally came and, thankfully, went--the day when I had to sit for the French language proficiency exam required for graduate students. What a relief! And no, i didn't perish; I lived to tell. And no, it didn't take five hours as rumored; I finished it in an hour and a half with my dignity in tact. Whew!

The night before, I couldn't sleep because I imagined stacks of Flaubert texts, or maybe Proust, or Hugo, or even Alexandre Dumas, being served up to me cold and raw for translation into English by some strict French grammar police.

And so with barely five hours of sleep, I trudged over to the testing center and what do you know, my examiner was a petite, pretty, and pleasant Filipina professor, who insisted on being called, simply, Nikki. I was allowed to bring in a dictionary--duh! So I was in the woods but not comepletely lost. The latest edition Collin's French-English dictionary served as my compass and lifeline.

I was surprised to be handed over a mere two-page exam sheet and was I was leaping and bounding into the air with joy and gratitude (but of course, I didn't--couldn't!). All those acrobatics were performed in my brain for issues of propriety and poise.

There were three texts that had to be translated: An excerpt for Albert Camus' L'Etranger, a poem called Le Bonheur by Paul Fort, and finally another poem, Dejeuner du Matin by Jacques Prevert. I fell in love with this last poem and I'm posting the text here with my translation. I still don't know whether I passed or not but I stepped out of that room awestruck by this poem.

"Déjeuner du matin"
by Jacques Prévert

Il a mis le café Dans la tasse
Il a mis le lait Dans la tasse de café
Il a mis le sucre Dans le café au lait
Avec la petite cuiller Il a tourné
Il a bu le café au laitEt il a reposé la tasse
Il a allumé Une cigarette
Il a fait des ronds Avec la fumée
Il a mis les cendres Dans le cendrier
Sans me parler Sans me regarder
Il a mis Son chapeau sur sa tête
Il a mis son manteau de pluie
Parce qu'il pleuvait
Et il est parti
Sous la pluie
Sans une parole
Sans me regarder
Et moi j'ai pris
Ma tête dans ma main Et j'ai pleuré.
Translation:
"Having Breakfast"
He put the coffe in the cup
he put the milk in the cup with the coffee
he put the sugar in the coffee with milk
with a teaspoon he mixed it
he drank the coffee with milk and set down the cup
without talking to me.
He lit a cigarette
he blew smoke rings
he put the ashes on the ashtray
without talking to me
without looking at me
He stood up
he put his hat on his head
he put on his raincaot
because it was raining
and then he left
under the rain
without a word
without looking at me
And me, I took
my head in my hand and I cried.
Powerful but in a subtle way; emotion-packed but in a quiet way!

No comments: