Monday, November 3, 2008

The Truth About Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt

Roger Federer

Edward Norton

Daniel Craig

Colin Firth






I don't like Brad Pitt. There, it's out.

I have had dozens of reader response e-mails to the column asking me why I keep alluding to Brad Pitt as the "most good looking man." Truth be told, he is in most of my work for a concrete reason. I need a tangible persona--a living, breathing example of what is universally comprehensible and acceptable--a man who is close, if not the "ideal," so readers may immediately grasp the image, which will make the article resonate more in their minds. It is, therefore, a literary tool, so to speak.

Brad Pitt appeals to most everyone, I think that's safe to say. The perfectly-chiseled, symmetrical face; the fine bone structure; the piercing blue eyes; the lean, muscular body; the thick crop of dirty blond hair, show us that this man has all the qualities that most everyone consider good looking. He is the in-your-face type of good looking, not the if-you-look-harder-you-just-might-see-it kind, or the his-personality-makes-him-cute sort. Brad Pitt is handsome; "no two shits about it."

But here's the thing; he's not my type. The rest of the men pictured here are. I'm more into the rugged, brash type of good looking, the imperfect faces with fascinating personas, those that look bad at certain angles, those with careers and talents borne out of pain or suffering, in other words, those who are success stories unto themselves--that's what I'm into--because they're real, palpable, human.

There, it's finally out.

No comments: