Monday, November 24, 2008

City of Angels

A shout out from Los Angeles, everyone. I am the happiest I have been since being with Kitty in Sydney in September. I am with Maverick and I can't ask for anything more. L.A. is cold and dark (we are on DST so it's pitch black at 5:30 pm). We have been simply hanging out and talking endlessly and I have not been more relaxed than this in the past two months.

She seems better. The breakup from her boyfriend has slowly sank in and she is in the process of doing the post mortem--the autopsy, if you will--on the relationship: what happened, who did what, what could they have done better, what went wrong...But they still talk; he calls several times a day. My instinct is always to grab the phone from her and give him the dressing-down of his life, threaten him with a machete, banish him into the Ecuadorian rain forest, and let the gigantic ants eat him alive.

But the truth is, it is none of my business; it is theirs alone. As a mother, I can only watch and hope for the best. We all know that after breakups there are residual emotions that need to be worked through, often times painfully. And everyone goes through this process; no one is spared. I just hope they get over it in one piece. But why do I get the feeling it isn't quite over for them yet?

She went to grad school for a couple of hours today. I've never seen her so focused on school work. She has always been the type person to wing it--hardly ever studies but passes anyway. She has since become a different person. She told me, "The one part of my life that is going so well are my studies." I don't know but the amount of work they are given is atrocious and the level is impressive. I have leafed through her papers and I feel like an idiot. I'm in complete awe of how much Annenberg has raised the bar on the kind of writing these kids do nowadays.

While she was out, I took the opportunity to clean her place up. I found lots of dust bunnies under the bed and under the sofa but I got them good with the vacuum cleaner. She didn't have any dirty laundry like Kitty did when I got to Sydney but she had freshly laundered garments shoved into baskets. So that's what I did to day--folded and sorted them out. I must say, it was very therapeutic: the repetitive motion of folding and putting away does wonders for the soul. Come visit her place with me.



Paintings in progress. I love them already

She says she works better on the floor--something I can't comprehend



I was most impressed about the orderliness of her closet. Just a few years ago when she was in Lugano her closet looked like a crime scene. Notice the equidistant hangers? O.C...
Her journalist's gear

Her shower curtain is a dictionary. The love for words and writing is evident everywhere in her place.

The eight-part series of a heart breaking on the bookshelf is her artwork. They are boxes, which she painted, stacked on top of each other, and lined up.

No comments: