Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Snorting Matter

Last night, the usual suspects touched base over sushi at Sugi and drinks at one the more popular bars in Greenbelt III. There was much fun and craziness, as always. But a curious incident in the ladies' room diverted my focus from the hedonistic pursuit of having fun at all costs to the reality of night life in Manila.

Mrs. Prime Suspect, G, padded into the ladies' room as I was washing my hands. She made straight for the cubicle and apparently told me to wait for her, which I had completely missed. I marched out the door not having heard anything. When she came out she relayed how two women entered the cubicle next to hers and spent a significant amount of time holed up in there, apparently snorting something illegal, and I'm guessing something probably white and powdery.

The thought gripped me. So, this is the scene that Maverick and Kitty come out to each time they're home in Manila partying with their friends. This is their reality and this might just be the same reality that my four younger kids: Belli, Bidi, Pippi, and Mouse will enter into one day.

After an hour or so had passed, the same two women, traipsed by our table into the rest room again. So G pulled me and said, "C'mon, let's listen in, this is too good to pass up." So we went in after them and locked ourselves in the cubicle next to theirs, careful to be silent. We heard everything that went on in their side: some light banter, a few muffled giggles, and definitely lots of snorting and sniffling. They were having a party for a good 10 minutes.

G and I walked out of the rest room a little bit more enlightened about Manila night life, a little more anxious for our children, and a little more sad about the state of the universe.

1 comment:

Karlo Avenido said...

May I just comment on this? I'm so sorry if I just keep on commenting on your blog; I just get so bored and so talkative during this time of the year. Anyway, I've also been to this situation, in a party my college block mate held. Being a total introvert throughout high school, it was my first teenage-style party complete with smokes and drinks (don't get me wrong, I don't smoke and drink).

The party had such a repulsive atmosphere upon me that I had to call my driver (God bless his soul) in the middle of the party and go home. I never went to another party after. I have my own small set of friends, and we're a wholesome lot.

We can't escape the reality of the youth today.

I mean, how screwed up can this get? I thought only the squatters do drugs. Ugh.

The more parties one's children attend to, the more susceptible they get to the temptation of these things.

I just realized how my parents' strictness help me avoid trouble.