Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Persian Food and other stuff

Maverick took me to Westwood today for Persian food and some shopping. We took a leisurely walk around the area as she pointed out her favorite haunts: corner grocery store; nail and waxing salon; sushi place; sandwich place; her boyfriend's barber.

We then stopped for lunch at the Attari restaurant, a quaint Persian joint fronted by a courtyard and a small bubbling fountain. We had beef tongue sandwich and beef kotlet sandwich and ash soup, a kind of thick lentil soup with chopped parsley, turmeric and caramelized onions. The food was divine. I'm thinking we could make that tongue sandwich at home. It's simply lengua in between between french baguette with dill pickles, yogurt, tomatoes, and chopped parsley. Super good!

Oh, and the baklava is the best I've ever tried: thin sheets of phyllo pastry, baked to a crisp, filled with pistachios and almond paste, and drizzled with a tangy honey lemon sauce. It was mind blowing. We almost gobbled it up because it was too good. I remembered to photograph it in the nick of time.

After lunch, we met up with Maverick's Indonesian classmate, Irma, whom she calls Irmanator, a sweet, gentle girl who looks like an Asian doll--so well mannered and pleasant. We spent the afternoon with her shopping. Maverick spent a lot of time at Urban Outfitters, one her favorite stores because, "they don't use sweat shops," she says. There is a civic mindedness in her now that moves me. She got a really cute pair of funky jeans in kind of a leopard print but in shades of blue. She now calls it "kitty pants"--quite cool and they fit her so well.









I must have spent an hour in Victoria's Secret buying lingerie. Ask me what for? I really don't know; they just looked so pretty and irresistible on the racks. They're probably the most useless articles of clothing I have purchased but somehow I get the feeling that half the women who read this article will disagree. Here they are. Please tell me what you think. Was it a waste of money?


5 comments:

xxx said...

NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!!! it's for one's self esteem :)

fourtyfied said...

M, I miss you! Your comments are my vitamins--they make me strong ha ha! When I think of us cracking up on the phone I laugh some more. Hope all is well. Until I get back. ...stay and keep well.

hansolo said...

Definitely not useless articles of clothing. They lift your self-esteem, and lift something else in the lucky man who sees you wearing it... I meant his temperature!

Some guys have all the luck!

fourtyfied said...

Hey, hansolo,

You're my kind of man judging from your name alone. Obviously the force is with you plus, you cast your vote for the frivolous and pricey yet justified lingerie. My best to you!

Unknown said...

Those are some HOT lingerie :)