Friday, September 26, 2008

15 Children






Fifteen six-year-olds visited with us today. Mouse's first grade class came in for a field trip in line with their Unit of Inquiry on different types of houses. Mouse assumed the role of tour guide and with much confidence she showed them around. I could see that she was very pleased with herself because of a task well done. This is how children build up their self esteem, I think, by piling up little building blocks of feel-good moments to eventually erect a massive tower of strength.

I will never cease to be fascinated by the curiosity, the energy, the imagination, and the charm of little children. They see the world with such awe and positivity that I become secretly embarrassed by how jaded I have become. Being around them is like being exposed to a powerful life source. Simply fascinating. But then again, I say that because they are not mine and I only had to spend one hour with them, tops. If they were mine and had to handle them 24-forever, I would probably all push them into the pool. Kidding!

No comments: