Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake







California strawberries are like jewels: precious and pretty. I decided to make a Big 4-0 birthday cake for my brother for his party today with three punnets of vulgarly large, ruby-red, succulent Sunshine State strawberries.

Here's the photo shoot of the layered strawberry cream cake, as I call it--a recipe I concocted from my wild imagination fifteen years ago. The base is a light and airy angel's food cake with a few squeezes of lemon and a few drops of vanilla. Sandwiched in between layers are fresh strawberry slices. It is topped with cream frosting and finished with fresh strawberry puree sauce.
I used to accept orders for this cake until it became unmanageable, overturning my orderly life. I do love cooking and baking but for now, writing seems to eclipse it.

No comments: