Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Belgian Tradition



Chambar is a Belgian restaurant that has over three dozen types of Belgian beer. Beer brewing is to the Belgians as wine making is to the French--centuries of tradition involving history and passion-filled processes. It is the Trappist monks that started it all in the 19th century in France. They later moved their abbeys to Belgium and imposed stricter rules in their manufacturing of ales. The use of fruits, flowers, herbs, and nectar have found its way into their brews and into the satisfied bellies of beer aficionados the world over for many centuries.


Chambar celebrates this tradition and offers food to complement their beer. The different brews I tasted were, in fact, unique in smell and flavor. My favorite was the plum and honey infused dark ale that had no bitter aftertaste.


I ordered an asparagus and goat cheese salad with morel mushrooms and truffles. The serving was so small and the price too high that I don't think I'll be going back there in this lifetime--mostly because I can live without beer.

No comments: