Sunday, May 4, 2008

Granville Island


















This is a major reason why I like Vancouver. Granville Island is a mini Fisherman's Wharf, right on the water with quaint shops and stand-up entertainers. But that is not what I go there for; It is the produce and seafood market that lures me time and again.
I was hoping to get cherries (I can eat buckets of them) but what they had were the season's first pick so they were small and not meaty: pathetic, in fact. So I must wait...

I walked around and marveled at the onions the size of a soft ball, bell peppers the size of both my fists combined, fresh-baked bread, fresh cut flowers, and every imaginable pastry. I always leave Granville with lemon meringue pie and a bucket of some soup from the local soup Nazi who sells soup starter kits for bouillabaisse, cioppino, minestrone, cream soups and broth. These are idiot-proof casserole bases that can fool any guest into thinking you're a gourmet.

Hey, I'm noticing here that this is all I've been doing for days: buying food and stuffing myself! Wait a minute--this has got to stop!

No comments: