Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Wisdom of Youth

I received an email from a 20-something reader with whom I have been in constant touch for the past several months. His reaction to my series of misfortunes has been so inspiring--completely unexpected from a 20-something male--that I am compelled to post it here (with his permission of course). He will remain anonymous but please let me say that he graduated from the Ateneo and is a budding writer. I have always looked forward to his correspondence which are filled with nuggets of insight that belie his youth. I am sure that very soon, he will burst forth into the literary scene and takes everybody's breath away. And hopefully, by then, I will have the honor of formally introducing him to everyone. Here is what he wrote:

Good day. I don't really know if this famous saying still holds true, coming all the way back from the biblical times; but St. Peter once said that 'the greater the darkness, the greater the light'. I've had a fair share of major screw-ups in life lately, too. Ranging from an advanced stage of dengue fever to conflicts of interest in the nuclear and extended family...Maybe it's not a bad thing to have bad events in our lives. No. Scratch that. Maybe it's really bad to let bad things happen. I don't know. Hay. Anyway, I just find this funny, but reading your blog makes me feel light. Your funny reactions and comments to serious events just make me laugh my head off. But still nothing beats the laughing power of Spongebob Squarepants. Anyway, (one big ANYWAY. haha) I hope you get to rise up from all that lingering trouble, which, I guess, you are able to without hardship.


Maraming Salamat, po at Mabuhay Ka!

3 comments:

Greg Salido Quimpo said...

I have been blogging about my work and it's been four straight months that I have not posted any news & tidbits. No, I have not been fired but it's those humps and bumps of life that sucked out the enthusiasm of the blogger in me.

Though not a great believer of heavenly, elemental and what-have-you signs, I am looking forward to a wonderful Year of the Ox for me and my family. The deeply traditional Chinese says it's my lucky year. I pray it is for us all.

Your old article in PhilStar made me curious to search your blog. Will keep coming back.

Ingat!

http://www.allaskalsgotoheaven.blogspot.com

Jerick said...

hey ma'am. i read your roger federer article on philstar. i found it funny yet almost shared the same sentiment, except for the boyfriend part, haha!
i made a similar statement on my blog as well. i shared the link here. hope you could pay me a visit soon! thanks!
http://comfortedlife.blogspot.com/2009/02/so-what-if-roger-wept.html

red said...

Just read your article "Restaurant Rage" in today's Phil Star. As a restaurateur myself, how I can empathize with it! It's true that in this country of ours service staff do not get the respect they deserve. I keep reminding my staff that but even they themselves forget that they, too, are human beings. And what to do with the rude guests! As much as I would like to smack and/or tell off many of them for rudeness or just plain ignorance or arrogance, I can't. And, it was not elaborated in your article, but the ambivalence is overpowering and one will probably never get over it...

This is the first article I've ever read which is from the restaurateur's point of view. All the blogs and articles I've read about restaurants are reviews from the guests' side. These critiques are not always glowing, which is normal, of course, because each one is entitled to his own opinion but they are sometimes just plain mean, childish and unconstructive.

Your article is refreshing and I am so comforted in the fact that there are people who see it from our side, too, and not only from the guest's side.

I hope you have all your documents/papers/cards back.