Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bunny Babies




Maverick needed a bunny costume for an Easter party and I remembered that Mouse wore one for Halloween three years ago. I have this hope chest at home filled with all the children's costumes from 24 years ago, ever since Maverick was born, so I rummaged through it and dug through 24 years of memories. I found my son's Tarzan wig, which I had crafted from scratch. I cut a round piece from plain fabric then sewed strips of hanging yarn in concentric circles to simulate Tarzan's long locks. He wore it with nothing more than a g-string and run away with the grand prize. He was a scrawny four-year-old when this happened. What were the judges thinking?

I unearthed the bunny outfit from the very bottom--ears, bow tie, and cotton tail--all intact and good as new. I handed it over to an ecstatic Maverick. Here are their photos: Maverick and Mouse, sisters born 18 years apart, getting maximum mileage from this Hugh-Hefneresque costume.

I guess the little girl in each of us never really goes away; it is just shoved to the sidelines by this whole growing-up business, raring to resurface at every opportunity.

No comments: