Monday, June 2, 2008

Away at Sea

I am asea aboard the Mercury heading to Alaska. I am slowly finding my sea legs--it used to be automatic when I was younger (whoever said ageing is no big deal was lying). I promise to post photos tomorrow. The ship itself is okay--she's clean if a bit tired; she was launched in '97 and was refurbished in '02, if I remember right. She's not posh like the Silver Seas Fleet; she is humble and unpretentious with a larger passenger capacity, which means longer waits and longer line-ups. She has a casual air about her, which means the dress code is more relaxed. She's alright by all measures.

I feel very much at home because, like all cruise ships, 50 percent of the crew is Filipino--hard working, talented, driven, and charming men and women who do us proud. I am in the process of writing an article about them for Fortyfied--some sort of tribute for their Puritan work ethic, their tireless propping up of our economy, and their continued sacrifice of leaving their families.

It is a proud to be pinoy moment I am having here.

No comments: