Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Height of Narcissism

I attended a formal event last week for which I had to shun the jeans and white t-shirt for a few hours and really put on the glitz, big time. There were only two more weeks before the occasion when I realized that I had nothing to wear so I turned to Mr. Inno Sotto, who in my opinion, is one of the, if not the, greatest fashion fairy godmothers in the country. When I told him I had only two weeks of lead time, (all designers ask for at least a month with at least three fittings) he didn't even bat an eyelash. He said, "Doable."

Oy!, I thought to myself, if he can come up with a decent dress, then he rules! But of course, being the procrastinator that I am, there were only 12 days left when I came to see him. He said, "You have to do two fittings. One this week and another next week."

I had that first fitting with just the lining of the dress. They needed to take it in in several places because I had lost even more weight since they last measured me, the previous week. Lo and behold I had to rush to L.A. to be by Maverick's side after that and I arrived ONE day before the event with absolutely no more time for repairs in case the dress didn't fit right. I was very anxious when I finally had the dress in my hands. But, being the genius that he truly is, Voila! it fit like a glove and with not a single stitch out of place. Some said, "Sure, he has done for you before, he knows your body type, that's no mean feat." But still, I say, "Genius is as genius does."

Mean words have been hurled his way since his late beloved partner, Richard Tan's, death. They claimed his art has suffered. Clients had an exodus to other designers. But you know how the infamous crab mentality (like crabs climbing on top of each other, those below take others down on their mission to reach the top) of the pinoys work: you're already down on the pavement and people will delight in kicking you even more.

I had no date for the evening. I was thinking Daniel Craig in Bond's legendary tuxedo on my arm would have been the perfect accessory. No, maybe Roger Federer. No, maybe Alex Rodriguez--Madonna will eat me alive! No, maybe Robert Pattison--cougar alert! Zues would have been the perfect choice. But since Zeus was holding court in Olympia I turned and did better thing. I took Belli with me.

We ended up having the time of our lives, chit-chatting the whole night, and giggling away! She is by far the best date I've ever had!

I was debating on whether to post these photos. But given that I have no photo of just the dress (it's still at the cleaners) and I don't know how to put a heart graphic on my face as some bloggers do to conceal their identity, I'm going face commando here. Anyway I know that all you readers are my relatives (thanks for following the blog. I love you all). I'm posting them risking ire and judgement but I do so with an official declaration that it is the height of narcissism! But may I please argue that it may be warranted this one time since, in the words of Julia Roberts in the Erin Brokovich movie, "It took a village to raise that cleavage."

In fact , when I looked in the mirror after putting on the dress, I was quite pleased with results of the effort Inno put in. I started getting smug, I admit--feeling self-important, posing a la Binibining Pilipinas for Pippi who was taking the pictures. But when Belli blurted, "Mom! What are you doing posing like that? You're a mom!" I stopped in my tracks and reflected briefly on what she had said.

Really...there's nothing like an innocent child's words to bring one back down to earth and keep him grounded.

All I can say is Inno Sotto rules, always have, always will! Thank you so very much, Inno!



2 comments:

xxx said...

WOW!!! So proud to have a gorgeous friend! In that dress, not only does Inno Soto rule, but SO DO YOU! You look beautiful. Wish Zues could have come down fron Olympia to see it ;), and everyone else for that matter. Belli looks great too!

hansolo said...

Wow!!! Are those Pergo floor laminates?
Just kidding. What kind of guy would notice the flooring in those pictures? Probably the same kind of guy who would notice the dress instead of the one wearing it.
I have always been partial to soft gowns which cling to a woman's topography, more so if there's a slit which goes high enough to be DANGEROUSLY exciting (i.e. there's always that danger that Victoria's secret might be revealed). Inno Sotto is indeed a genius for coming up with that dress in just 12 days. I suspect, though, that with you as the model, any designer would appear to be so.
Forgive your kid. Kids are just instinctively protective of their family unit that they are naturally averse to any actions on our part that could pose a threat to the family's equilibrium. She is too young to realize that even for a middle-aged woman who is married and has kids, it is sometimes important for her to know that she can still cause men to gaze at her little longer than they should. And if that night, men sinned in their heads while looking at you wearing that sexy dress, well... you can't be blamed. It's not your fault that you're hot!